There is something freeing about being on holiday. It’s not just the sense of freedom away from the normal annoyances of the rat race back home; it’s a sense of limitless possibilities. We’ve all gone away and found ourselves entranced by the wares on offer, depleting our travel fund within the first few days because we just can’t resist the urge to splurge. And given it’s usually a treat you only get a couple of times a year, where’s the harm?
If you’re going to shop, then you might as well travel to somewhere where the shops on offer are truly amazing. Fashion fans might be well accustomed to buying online or juggling the cost of shipping, but nothing will ever compare to being in a fashion-forward place and sampling the goods before you buy. Endless rows of high-end, high-quality luxury for you to run your hands over and consider buying, all accompanied by that sense of freedom from the norm that makes travelling such a delight.
While it’s perhaps not the best idea to make your desire to shop a sole reason for visiting an area, there are ways and means of combining all the things you want. Below are a list of destinations that make for truly spectacular destinations no matter what your reason for going, but have an extra something for the fashion conscious to enjoy as well!
Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Located on the Kowloon Peninsula and overlooking Victoria Bay, there’s no doubt about it: Tsim Sha Tsui is one of the most popular destinations in Hong Kong. Imagine looking at that technicolour wonderland from the window of your Tsim Sha Tsui hotel, thinking of all the stores that are just waiting for you to visit.
Oh, and what stores! Hong Kong has cornered the luxury end of the market well, with plenty of high-end brands setting up stores around the country, but particularly in the tourist-rich Tsim Sha Tsui. Not only that, but there’s plenty of authentic local markets to indulge yourself with too.
There’s no doubt about it; if we’re talking fashionable destinations, then it’s impossible not to mention Italy as a whole, but specifically Milan.
The city manages to meld together the old – such as the Duomo di Milano as pictured above – with the new in impressive ways. The ancient streets and old-world charm sit alongside the exciting fashion brands that have made the city home, especially during the annual Fashion Week. There’s plenty to explore both in terms of the shopping and the history, so whether you make it a weekend break or stay for longer, there’s no doubt you’ll find something to delight in Milan.
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Finally, a few words on the newcomer to the fashionista’s destination list: Dubai. The souks are some of the most intriguing and beautiful shopping experiences you can find, offering an insight into the rich culture that surrounds this area.
If you’d prefer to stick to known labels, then the Dubai Mall is everything that you could need under one roof. The huge mall – which comes complete with its own indoor aquarium – is home to all the big, high-end designers, as well as outlets and smaller boutiques that you could spend your entire stay exploring. Do try and catch some of the local culture too, of course, but there’s more than enough here to get you flexing your credit cards!
We have all been there: holding onto a pair of shoes that are well past their sell-by-date. Your shoes are literally ready to fall apart, but you don’t want to let go because they are your favourite pair. So, how do you make your favourite shoes last forever? We have some top tips to ensure you can wear your gorgeous shoes for years and years to come.
- Apply moisturizer to your leather shoes – Moisturizing your shoes may seem a little weird, but it can do leather shoes the world of good. It helps to stop potential cracking that occurs due to damage from the elements. And, when we say moisturizer, we mean a quality shoe cream – not the one you use on your body! Stay away from shoe creams that sit on top of the leather. These products are only a temporary solution. Instead, you need a cream that will absorb into the leather, nourishing your shoes and keeping them fresh.
- Use a shoehorn – If you are trying to put on shoes that have laces, it is unlikely that you will be able to do this effortlessly. You often need to put in a little bit of work to get the shoes on. This can result in the bottom of your foot crunching the hell collar while you work your fingers in, and this can cause damage to the shoes. Instead, keep your heel collars in good condition by using a shoehorn whenever you put your shoes on.
- Store your shoes correctly – It does not matter whether you have expensive or cheap shoes, you need to store them correctly if you are to make sure they last. Don’t just throw your shoes into your closet, as this can lead to scratching and other damage. It is also important to keep your shoes away from sunlight, as this can cause the material to fade.
- Fix any problems immediately – If there are any problems, deal with them immediately. Soles become irreparably uneven, breaks widen, and stains deepen. Acting fast is the key to ensuring your shoes live a long and healthy life.
- Make sure you wear shoes that are right for your feet – In order for your shoes to last for a long time, they need to be right for your feet. If you have any type of foot condition,Shoe Finale can point you in the right direction. You will be able to find shoes that minimize discomfort and pain while also fitting your foot like a dream so that there is less chance of them wearing quicker than expected.
- Spray with a water repellent – You should always spray your shoes with water repellent. This is a great way to ensure your shoes are protected from the elements, and so waterproofing is especially important when winter starts to approach.
- Stuff your shoes with newspaper – There are a number of different reasons why you should stuff your shoes with newspaper. This includes preserving their shape, preventing dry rot, drying them out if they get wet, and alleviating odor. Who knew newspaper could be so beneficial?
- Don’t put your shoes in the washing machine – This is especially important for canvas shoes. A lot of people are tempted to toss them in the washing machine and then the tumble dryer as a quick way to clean them. However, this will only wear your shoes out faster. Instead, you should scrub them by hand, and make sure you do this straight away. If you leave the dirt to accumulate, you could get to the point of no return.
- Protect the soles – It is vital to protect your soles if you want your shoes to last for a long time, as the soles are what take the brunt of the daily beating. You can find a wide range of protectors for all types of shoes. It is definitely worth investing in these.
- Purchase quality from the start – Last but not least, you can expect your shoes to last a lot longer if you invest in quality from the very beginning. Shoes that are well-constructed from premium materials will be able to take much more wear and tear.
So there you have it; some top tips to ensure your favourite shoes last longer. Follow the advice mentioned above, and you don’t have to worry about throwing your gorgeous pair of sandals or heels into the bin. From stuffing your shoes with newspaper to using a shoehorn, there are so many little changes you can make that will make a massive difference.
Being a fashionista, your dream job is probably to become a fashion mogul. Some may say that you’ve set your sights too high. Some may say that you should just stick to your job at the fashion store and be happy with it. But you shouldn’t listen to these naysayers; you should follow your dream! And if you do decide to follow this dream, then make sure to take heed of things you should always do below.
1. Always dress to impress
Whether you’re working on the shop floor of a fashion store flogging clothes that you’re not even particularly fond of. Whether you’re an intern at a fashion company and are only tasked with photocopying and doing the tea and coffee run for the real staff. Or whether you’re in a role of management at big fashion brand — you should always dress to impress and you should always dress with confidence. You should do so because, as a prospective fashion mogul, you have the ability to carry your CV on you at all times. When people can see you have an eye for fashion, it’s only logical that you will open up more doors for yourself in the fashion industry. So, never let your own personal sense of style slip!
2. Always forge connections
Similarly, no matter what stage you are at in your fashion career you should always try to forge as many connections with other fashionistas as you can. This means schmoozing any boss that you may have in order to garner a better reference. It means being as nice and as helpful as you can be to any customer that comes to you for fashion advice, as you never know who they might be. And it also means acting in a similar way to all of your co-workers because, you never know, somewhere down the line they may hold the key to you bettering your own career. So, always make connections and network whenever you can; this means attending whatever fashion conference you can afford to attend.
3. Always aim higher
Well, nobody has ever become a mogul in regards to anything by aiming low, have they? In your attempt to reach the pinnacle of the fashion industry you have to, at all times, be looking up towards those lofty heights. This means that you should, quite literally, always be on the lookout for higher level jobs than the one you currently have. In regards to this, make sure to head over to http://www.jobsatbelk.com/ to see all the latest vacancies at this particular company — one of which is the Assistant Brand Manager role. And this is the kind of role that you should be looking towards attaining sooner rather than later if you want to realise your potential as a fashion mogul.
Becoming a fashion mogul is tough. It takes a lot of hard work in regards to your knowledge of fashion and your ability to identify and display it. It takes a lot of schmoozing. And it takes a lot of confidence and belief in your own ability. If you are willing to give all of this for your dream, then you’ve already jumped the first hurdle.
We all have times when we need to get by on a budget but we also have times when we have some spare money and we want to treat ourselves. These are the times when you can invest in some luxury items that will make you feel like a princess. They are items that you can look at on a dark day and they will make you smile and bring color and happiness back into your life. Here are some top ideas for luxury items that will last you a lifetime.
Diamonds will last you a lifetime
Nothing says luxury quite like a diamond and every lady would like one, or more! They make the perfect investment. They hold their value and they look utterly gorgeous. You can’t wear an investment portfolio out in the evening with a ball gown, can you? They hold their value and this is one accessory that will never go out of fashion so it is yours for life.
When you are investing in diamonds you need to know what you are doing so it is best to get some help. But where should you get that help? Why not read this James Allen Review to help you decide if he is the retailer for you? You can find out all you need to know about the service that he provides, the pricing and the history of his business.
Vintage clothes give you a sense of history
Vintage clothing gives you style, a sense of history and a good investment opportunity all at the same time. However, you don’t have to head out to the shops to get started and you don’t have to spend a thing! Start by talking to the older members of your family. Have they stored any special items away because they could not bear to get rid of them?
Offer to sort out your grandmother’s attic and then ask politely if it is okay for you to ‘borrow’ any items that you take a liking to. Don’t forget to ask if there are any family stories associated with the item of clothing. These are more precious than the clothing itself.
Before you head out to the shops to look for vintage clothing it is a good idea to do your research online first. Find out which labels were around in the period that you are interested in and which ones are holding their value. This will enable you to make a wise investment. Remember that body shapes have changed. If you are very slim, you may find it hard to find something to wear from the 1950s when curves were all the rage!
Shoes, shoes, shoes
There are some types of footwear that it is worth investing in and others that you should steer clear of. Leather boots are always a great investment and bring a touch of luxury to brighten up the long winter days. Killer heels are another perfect investment. You won’t wear them very often but they will make you feel like a princess when you do!