We have all been there: holding onto a pair of shoes that are well past their sell-by-date. Your shoes are literally ready to fall apart, but you don’t want to let go because they are your favourite pair. So, how do you make your favourite shoes last forever? We have some top tips to ensure you can wear your gorgeous shoes for years and years to come.
- Apply moisturizer to your leather shoes – Moisturizing your shoes may seem a little weird, but it can do leather shoes the world of good. It helps to stop potential cracking that occurs due to damage from the elements. And, when we say moisturizer, we mean a quality shoe cream – not the one you use on your body! Stay away from shoe creams that sit on top of the leather. These products are only a temporary solution. Instead, you need a cream that will absorb into the leather, nourishing your shoes and keeping them fresh.
- Use a shoehorn – If you are trying to put on shoes that have laces, it is unlikely that you will be able to do this effortlessly. You often need to put in a little bit of work to get the shoes on. This can result in the bottom of your foot crunching the hell collar while you work your fingers in, and this can cause damage to the shoes. Instead, keep your heel collars in good condition by using a shoehorn whenever you put your shoes on.
- Store your shoes correctly – It does not matter whether you have expensive or cheap shoes, you need to store them correctly if you are to make sure they last. Don’t just throw your shoes into your closet, as this can lead to scratching and other damage. It is also important to keep your shoes away from sunlight, as this can cause the material to fade.
- Fix any problems immediately – If there are any problems, deal with them immediately. Soles become irreparably uneven, breaks widen, and stains deepen. Acting fast is the key to ensuring your shoes live a long and healthy life.
- Make sure you wear shoes that are right for your feet – In order for your shoes to last for a long time, they need to be right for your feet. If you have any type of foot condition,Shoe Finale can point you in the right direction. You will be able to find shoes that minimize discomfort and pain while also fitting your foot like a dream so that there is less chance of them wearing quicker than expected.
- Spray with a water repellent – You should always spray your shoes with water repellent. This is a great way to ensure your shoes are protected from the elements, and so waterproofing is especially important when winter starts to approach.
- Stuff your shoes with newspaper – There are a number of different reasons why you should stuff your shoes with newspaper. This includes preserving their shape, preventing dry rot, drying them out if they get wet, and alleviating odor. Who knew newspaper could be so beneficial?
- Don’t put your shoes in the washing machine – This is especially important for canvas shoes. A lot of people are tempted to toss them in the washing machine and then the tumble dryer as a quick way to clean them. However, this will only wear your shoes out faster. Instead, you should scrub them by hand, and make sure you do this straight away. If you leave the dirt to accumulate, you could get to the point of no return.
- Protect the soles – It is vital to protect your soles if you want your shoes to last for a long time, as the soles are what take the brunt of the daily beating. You can find a wide range of protectors for all types of shoes. It is definitely worth investing in these.
- Purchase quality from the start – Last but not least, you can expect your shoes to last a lot longer if you invest in quality from the very beginning. Shoes that are well-constructed from premium materials will be able to take much more wear and tear.
So there you have it; some top tips to ensure your favourite shoes last longer. Follow the advice mentioned above, and you don’t have to worry about throwing your gorgeous pair of sandals or heels into the bin. From stuffing your shoes with newspaper to using a shoehorn, there are so many little changes you can make that will make a massive difference.