Monthly Archives: September 2015
DIY Hair Treatment Recipe Instructions:
Either finely shred your carrot by hand, or put it in a blender to break it down. Combine with two tablespoons of coconut oil and mix well, then apply to dry hair. Let it set for 10 to 15 minutes, then rinse in the sink (to keep carrots out of your bathtub drain). Condition and style per normal.
Strawberry Banana Hair Detox
Chop your four strawberries into small pieces and then either mash them by hand or use a blender to puree. Combine with one mashed banana and two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Apply to shampooed hair and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Shampoo, condition, and style per normal.
Almond and Avocado Treatment
Crush or blend your almonds, then cut your avocado in half and remove the pit. Mash the almonds into the avocado and then combine with olive oil, mixing well until you have a smooth consistency. Let the mixture set for 20 minutes before applying to allow the ingredients to fuse, then apply to shampooed hair and let set for 10 to 15 minutes before shampooing.
Egg Yolk Mask
Separate your egg yolk from the white and beat the yolk. Slowly add the milk, mixing as you do, then add the honey. Apply the mixture to your hair, starting at the ends and working your way up. Let the mask set for 15 minutes, then rinse with cool water. Hot water can make the egg cook, so stick with cooler water.
Blend your fenugreek seeds into a powder, then combine with yogurt to make a paste. Apply to dry hair and allow it to set for 30 minutes before rinsing and shampooing. Fenugreek is rich in proteins and vitamins, which strengthens hair.
Blackseed Oil Conditioner
Maximize the effects of a normal conditioner by adding equal parts coconut oil, blackseed oil, and your normal conditioner. Mix well, then saturate hair and throw on a shower cap. Blackseed oil makes hair fuller and stronger while coconut oil adds shine.
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Looking for a pair of sunglasses that will soar above the rest? Then you’ll definitely want to check out Warby Parker‘s new Bird sunglasses. These elegant, Italian-crafted sunglasses were designed from a Warby Parker x Maiyet collaboration.
If you’re unfamiliar with Maiyet, they are pioneering a new luxury by creating a fashion brand that celebrates rare artisanal skills from unexpected places. Maiyet’s uniquely inspired, design driven collection seeks to revive ancient techniques and elevate the next generation of master craftsmen from places such as India, Indonesia, Italy, Kenya, Mongolia, and Peru.
After debuting on the FW15 runway earlier this spring, the Warby Parker x Maiyet collaboration Bird sunglasses are finally available at Warby Parker You’ll find them in three classy, earth-toned colors inspired by nature’s neutrals.
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Delicious news! ALOHA is launching a free trial kit of their tasty teas! This Ultimate Tea Kit will contain one bag of each of their flavors (Lovers, Protect, Clean, and Beauty) plus their coconut sweetner — all for free! You only need to cover a small shipping fee of $2.50.
ALOHA’s herbal teas balance, purify, nourish, and beautify. And their coconut water powder (ALOHA Coconut) adds a dash of hydration and refreshing tropical taste to any beverage. Both are made entirely free of chemicals, “natural” flavors, or artificial ingredients.
Tea is incredibly good for you and definitely deserves a place in your diet. Here are 5 tips for how to incorporate more tea into your life:
Cook with tea: Replace the water in any of your favorite recipes with tea for a delicious, all-natural flavor boost. Try black tea in your morning oatmeal. Robust black tea-infused oatmeal with maple syrup and slivered almonds is always a stunningly easy-to-make gourmet breakfast.
Add tea to your workout regimen: Studies have shown that drinking green tea daily can help shrink fat cells and make muscle cells more active, according to the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, due to the EGCG and caffeine in green tea. So drink up in order to move more quickly into that lean, toned body!
Make tea your afternoon pick-me-up: It’s 3pm and you’re dragging. Try a refreshing tea instead of chemical-laden sodas, sugar-filled juices or heavily caffeinated coffees. Tea will give you a gentle energy uptick without the jitters or subsequent energy crash. You’ll feel better, sharper and ready to finish the day strong.
Pair tea with your meals: Channel your inner sommelier and pair each course of your meal with a different type of tea. Try green tea with your appetizer, black tea with your main entrée, and white tea with your dessert. Tea can balance the flavors in the food and aid digestion.
1. Never put a garment on immediately after ironing, as this can actually cause new wrinkles to form. Instead, let it sit for five minutes to set the press.
2. Use hairspray to remove a lipstick stain.
3. The best way to de-fuzz a sweater: use a pumice stone.
4. Use white wine to remove red wine stains.
5. Wash new jeans twice before taking them to the tailor. Why? Because jeans will always shrink in length when washed.
6. To stop angora or mohair from shedding, fold the garment and place it into a zip-top bag and freeze it for at least three hours.
7. Remove odors from vintage or thrift clothing by spritzing them with a mixture of one part vodka, two parts water.
8. Remove white deodorant marks from a garment by gently rubbing the protective foam used on hangers against the fabric.
9. Despite what it says on the tag, cashmere is best washed by hand. To dry it, use a salad spinner, which releases excess water in seconds.
10. If you get wax on a piece of clothing, layer wax paper over the hardened wax and then run an iron over it to loosen it up. Once you pull off the paper, the wax should come right out with it.
11. Pour a dash of vodka into vase water to extend the life of your flowers.
12. Spray tights with sticky (read: cheap) hairspray to avoid holes and runs.
13. Don’t buy items you know you won’t properly care for. For example, if you know you’re never going to hand-wash that delicate cami or beaded sweater, don’t buy it.
14. Spray shirts prone to sweat stains with lemon juice before washing. The natural acid dissolves alkaline sweat reside that could cause yellow discoloration.
15. Add a 1/2 cup of distilled white vinegar to the final rinse cycle while doing laundry to maintain the wash of your favorite pair of dark jeans.
16. Blot, don’t rub, when you spill something on your clothes. Wiping or rubbing will actually further ingrain the stain into the weave.
17. To prevent clothing from wrinkling in a suitcase, fold everything in plastic dry cleaning bags.
18. Confused about laundry settings? Remember this: The hotter the water, the cleaner the clothing will be. While warm water is fine for most clothes, linens and dirty white clothing are best washed in hot water to remove germs and heavy soil. Cold water is usually used for delicates.
19. The secret to well-fitting everyday clothes is Lycra. The formulas to look for: 95% cotton/5% Lycra spandex for T-shirts, and at least 2% Lycra for jeans to hold their shape.
20. Wondering about the quality of your cashmere? Gently stretch the body of the garment to see if it snaps back. A lower-quality cashmere won’t.
21. Never put your swimwear in the washing machine, and always hand dry. The machine will damage the suit and it will lose its elasticity. The only exception: At the end of the summer or vacation, wash your swimwear in lingerie washing bags on the gentle cycle with a bit if Drift or Woolite. But only after many wears.
22. To coax a loose thread back into place, gently tug at the stitches to the sides of the pull as well as above and below
23. Windex restores the glossy sheen on patent leather without doing any damage.
**This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through my links.
Want to get the styles that stole the show at the Emmy’s last Sunday? Look no further than Rent the Runway.
Their glamourous selection of styles will make you feel like you’re ready to walk down the red carpet and deliver your acceptance speech for the “Best Dressed” award.
Whether you want all-over shimmer like Kerry Washington and Claire Danes, bold cutouts like Amy Poehler and Taraji P. Henson, or an over-the-shoulder silhouette like Lady Gaga and Taylor Schilling, Rent the Runway has literally got you covered. Here are a few red carpet trends to try this fall:
What You Need:
– two clear elastic bands
– four to five bobby pins
– medium hold hairspray
The Rosette Embellished Ponytail Tutorial:
Begin by brushing through the hair to remove any tangles and part the hair in the preferred spot. Separate off small sections of hair on each side of the head.
Bring the two sections to the back of the head and over the rest of the hair, then tie it together with an elastic band.
Now braid this small ponytail section into a basic three-strand braid and tie off the end with a second elastic band.
Roll the braid up and towards towards the elastic band at the top, creating a rosette shape.
Pin down the edges of the rosette with four to five bobby pins, making sure they stay hidden underneath.
Spray the style with a medium hold hairspray and you are ready to go!
1. Cut down your closet by 25% by asking yourself this one question: “If I were shopping right this second, would I buy this?” If the answer’s no, out it goes. —
2. Frame vintage scarves for cool original artwork.
3. A vintage trunk not only makes a stylish coffee table, but it can also house shoes and clothing you rarely wear.
4. If you have a small closet, never keep your shoes in clunky shoeboxes. Instead, always line up them on the floor.
5. The easiest way to make your closet look organized: Buy all the same hangers for everything–same color, same shape.
6. Always organize your clothes going light to dark from left to right in your closet. Your eye will follow the color and thus help you stay organized.
Kate Spade just launched its Holiday 2015 collection and here are some of my favorite pieces from the collection
See the Full Collection Here
Do you have a favorite piece from the Kate Spade Holiday 2015 collection? Let me know in the comments!
This post contains affiliate links
Ombre isn’t a new trend–we’ve been seeing it for years, on everything from clothing to nail art to hair. And yet, its popularity still isn’t fading! Why? Probably because ombre is so fun to create and so easy to DIY. So here is a new ombre nail art tutorial that uses colors from their ‘Fall Into Ombre’ Welcome Box - FREE when you join Julep Maven.
Let’s get started!
1. Choose three polishes that blend well together, spanning from dark to light. Not sure what to pick? You can’t go wrong with a deep, opaque color, a lighter shade of the same color, and white. Polish your nails with your darkest color. Allow them to dry.
2. Pour two small dollops of your medium and light colors on a smooth surface (like a piece of wax paper). The two dollops together should be about two-thirds the length of your nails. Use a toothpick or orangewood stick to swirl them together slightly so they mix in the middle, forming a gradient.
3. Dip the edge of a cosmetic sponge directly into your dollops of nail polish then align the sponge so that the lightest color is at the tip of your nail. Press the polish onto your nails with the sponge, dabbing and repeating until you achieve the desired effect. This doesn’t have to be precise!
4. Clean up the edges with our polish corrector pen or a thin brush dipped in polish remover. Finish with a top coat. Voilà!
Get the colors used in this look for FREE when you join Julep Maven, the subscription beauty box program. As a Julep Maven you’ll receive a box of brand-new, full sized nail color and beauty products each month – and you deserve it!
- Julep Maven is affordable. Every month you get more than $40 of full-size products for just $24.99 per month (tip – prepay for three months at a time and save $15).
- Julep Maven is the only customizable box of full-size, limited-run nail colors and beauty innovations. That means no surprises, no dupes or colors you don’t like. You can see what is in your box each month and have the option of swapping out colors/products you already have or don’t want.
- Julep Mavens get 20% off all single product purchases, free shipping, early access to secret sales. If you are passionate about your polish, that adds up to some amazing savings!
LIMITED TIME OFFER! Join Maven and get the 4-piece Ombre Welcome Box FREE ($50+ value) – just pay $2.99 shipping with code FALLGIRL. Want an even better deal? Pre-pay for your first three months of Maven and get the Welcome Box and shipping FREE. Either way, you are going to LOVE being a Maven.
1. Panty lines are not okay! ld invest in nude, seamless underwear.
2. A flattering silhouette begins with the right underpinnings. Never underestimate the power of Spanx—they’re a girl’s best friend!
3. Everyday bras should be replaced every three to six months, as that’s when they start to lose elasticity and support.
4. If you can’t fit two fingers underneath your bra band comfortably, it’s probably too tight.
5. Who has the time to hand wash bras? Machine wash them in cold water in a mesh zipper bag and drape them over a hanger to air dry.